ZocdocAnswersWhat can prevent the return of a hydrocele after surgery to correct it?

Question

What can prevent the return of a hydrocele after surgery to correct it?

I'm a 20 year old male, who's already undergone two surgeries two correct a resurgent hydrocele. After the first surgery, it returned after a month, thus requiring the second surgery. I've had several cases of epididymitis, and each time used a combination of prescription and holistic medication in order to cure it for that specific return of the infection. When painful, the hydrocele is treated with a scrotal supporter, rest and icing, with pain medication taken when necessary.

Answer

It sounds like you may be developing hydrocele from your frequent cases of epididymitis. Epididymitis is an inflammation of the cord leads from the testicle toward the penis; this can occur from infectious and noninfectious causes. Most of the time it is infectious, and it requires adequate treatment with antibiotics to clear up. Sometimes, the infection can become chronic and can require a longer course of antibiotics. Sometimes, however, the epididymitis is recurrent and noninfectious; this is usually due to a structural problem, such as a blockage in the urethra or prostate. You should see a urologist to help sort out why you are having recurring cases of epididymitis. I say this because the hydrocele is probably just a reactive and inflammatory change that is produced from the recurring epididymitis. If this is the case, then you will not be able to satisfactorily treat the hydrocele until you have identified and treated the cause of the recurring epididymitis. One the epididymitis is resolved, then surgical excision of the complete hydrocele cysts should resolve the problem for you. Start by talking to your urologist. If you do not have a urologist, your primary care doctor can recommend one and make the referral for you.