Why is my does my right leg become painful when I sit sleep on that side?

I am a 48 year old mother of 5, with a history of lower back fractured vertebrae. I currently have a fallen bladder and uterus. This painful numbness has been happening for about a year, although I have had this problem while sitting for a longer period than that. It does improve with ibuprofen. The pain reaches from my thigh/hip down into my toes. Thank you!
I am concerned in particularly that this pain is related to nerve compression in your spine. Some signs that this might be going on include that the pain comes and goes, is pins and needles in nature, and reaches down below the knee. The fact that you have a history of a fractured vertebra in the back also raises the possibility for another fracture, arthritis, or some other anatomic problem that could be the source of the nerve impingement. The ibuprofen would help this, as it would temporarily reduce the swelling and inflammation. I would suggest that you see your doctor as soon as possible. It may be necessary to have a referral to an orthopedic back doctor or to have imaging of the spine, such as X-rays or an MRI. Based on the findings of the physical examination and the findings of any imaging studies, your doctors will be able to make recommendations about what the next steps will be. In the meantime, if you develop any worsening symptoms, especially worsening numbness in the feet, discoordination or weakness of the legs, or problems with bowel or bladder control you would need to go to the emergency room to seek immediate evaluation.

Other Orthopedic Surgeons

• Dr. Dale Bramlet
    Dr. Dale Bramlet MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    4820 Park Blvd N
    Pinellas Park, FL 33781
  • Dr. Keith Kurland
    Dr. Keith Kurland MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    10139 NW 31st Street
    Coral Springs, FL 33065
  • Dr. Fabio Fiore
    Dr. Fabio Fiore MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    803 South Parsons Avenue
    Brandon, FL 33511