What is the best medicine to take for Migraines?

I have had Migraines for the last 10 years and my doctor has prescribed Immitrex to help relief the pain. The problem I have with this medicine as well as several others made for migraine patients is that the side effects can be worse then the pain of the Migraine itself. Most migraine medicine prescribed by doctors can kill your liver. I want to know if there are any real "home remedies" that work and/or if there is a newer product out there that can help relieve the pain without giving me long lasting side effects.
Migraine headaches are a type of problem that can give people many different symptoms and can have a detrimental effect on quality of life. It sounds like your doctor thinks that you are having migraine headaches. It is possible that you are having a different type of headaches such as a tension headache. If this is the case, then medications such as sumatriptan (Immitrex) would not be helpful. While all medications have the potential for side effects, organ damage such as the liver are extremely rare. The statement that most migraine medications kill your liver is simply not true. If you are having multiple migraines per week, then you might want to ask you doctor about prophylactic medication. This is medication that you would take daily to prevent migraines from happening in the first place. As far as home remedies go, the best thing you can do is avoid the natural triggers that bring your migraines on. For example, if your migraines are triggered by sleep disturbances, or specific foods, or alcohol, then avoiding these will help. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. Ask if you would be a good candidate for the preventative medications. Most of my patients that have tried this say it has had a really great effect on their quality of life. Good luck.