At what age do boys stop growing taller?

My recently turned 18 year old son is 5'4" in height. His weight his healthy - just right for his height. Yet he is very concerned that he has reached his full growth. Since his father is six feet tall, and I am only 5'2", it's obvious he's taken after me in height. Is there a chance he could grow another inch or more?
It is entirely possible that your son could have a few more inches of growth left to go, but the best source for an answer to this question would come from the office of his pediatrician using his growth chart and a simple x-ray of his hand and wrist. While children usually will end up being somewhere between their two parents when it comes to height, that is obviously an over-generalization. The best (albeit imperfect) prediction adds 13 centimeters (about 5 inches) to your height and then averages that with the height of your husband to define what would be expected, with most children then falling somewhere within a range of an extra 8.5 cm above and below the original number. By this estimate, your son would fall slightly below his predicted height. The good news for your son is that it is possible that he could continue to grow, but the even better news is that you can get more answers from your doctor. By taking the x-ray, your doctor will be able to estimate if the bone has stopped lengthening, and then give advice about whether or not there is a specific cause for his small stature.

Other Pediatricians