ZocdocAnswersWhy is my wife so twitchy?

Question

Why is my wife so twitchy?

My wife is 32 and has had this since her youth. She sometimes starts to move her legs and arms uncontrollably and her mouth twists. I am very concerned if this is a serious condition. She says she went to the doctor for this years ago and they said that this wasn't serious but I am not sure of that. She tends to think that it is not but I want a professional opinion on the matter.

Answer

Random motor movements can be a sign of a serious medical condition, the result of a previous injury or illness, or they can be annoying but harmless effects of nerve and muscle interaction. To be sure which of these your wife is suffering from would require more information, including a visit to her primary care doctor or possibly a neurologist for more information, a physical exam, and a review of her past medical history including her family and birth history as well. If she also complains about unpleasant sensations such as tingling at the same time, then it is possible that she has a medical condition such as restless leg syndrome (aka RLS). Otherwise, some small segment of the population will have these spontaneous movements of their extremities, and they are generally not related to anything significant. There are some medications that can cause residual effects that persist long after the medication has been discontinued as well, and it is possible that your wife is having this sort of effect. If you remain concerned, notice that her symptoms are becoming more pronounced, or she has other symptoms, it would be worth speaking to your primary care doctor or a neurologist in more detail.