Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

Crusty dandruff and some sores on my scalp, what could cause this?

I have recently found a lot of hair in the shower drain, crusty dandruff and some sores on my scalp, what could cause this? I have always had thick very long hair it is healthy and have never had any problems with it, I am a 27 year old female and work part time at a bakery so my hair is in a loose bun about 20 hours a week. I have not changed my shampoo or hygine habits, i shower 1 or 2 times daily but only wash my hair every other day since it is past my bum and takes a half a day to dry completely. I have noticed my hair had been falling out a lot lately, and i have been getting crusty dandruff and a few small bumpy sores on my scalp. They do not hurt but are annoying when i run my hands trough my hair i feel the bumps. I do not have a family history of early hair loss, even the old men in my family still have all their hair. I am worried it is a symptom of something more serious than just early hair loss. I take Vitamins C and D daily, and Previcid for heart burn.
I definitely recommend talking to your primary care doctor about this. Dandruff can sometimes get quite severe to the point where small breaks in the skin cause infections to take hold. This can require topical antibiotic ointment or sometimes even oral antibiotics, as determined by your primary care doctor. Additionally, it sounds like you need to start using an anti-dandruff shampoo, of which there are many over the counter versions, in order to help get this under control. Another possibility is seborrheic dermatitis. Seborrheic dermatitis is an inflammation of the scalp and other oily areas of the skin characterized by crusting, flaking, and itching. It is sort of like the extreme spectrum of dandruff and, unlike simple dandruff, may not respond to just anti dandruff shampoo. Rather, a number of steroid creams and shampoos are used and, in some cases, an anti fungal medication may also be indicated. I would not be so worried about the hair loss right now until you get the scalp sores and itching under control, as it is most likely that the hair loss is just secondary to the scalp inflammation. Once you have the scalp problem under control, if you still are losing hair you can address it at that time.
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)