Why do I have constant dry mouth and throat since my tonsillectomy 2 months ago?

I am 34 year old female who just had a tonsillectomy approximately 2 1/2 months ago. At first my taste was really different for all foods for about a month, however it seems this has cleared up, but I have a constant dry feeling in my throat. I am constantly drinking water, and cant seem to ever quench this dry feeling. I am not on any medications.
Tonsillectomies, while simple surgeries to perform, are not as easy to recover from, especially as people age. Older people tend to have their tonsils removed for different reasons than children, and most of those reasons (such as recurrent infections) make them harder remove because of the scar tissue that recurrent inflammation can cause. After the initial pain and difficulty swallowing that can last up to 2 weeks (not to mention the different taste), some people will continue to have other symptoms for a short period of time. Your symptoms of dryness in your throat can quite likely be explained completely by the healing process that is still occurring. While the bed of your tonsils and the back of your throat may look fine, the tissue underneath is still undergoing remodeling to strengthen and return to the normal architecture of the surrounding tissue. It is appropriate, however, to discuss your concerns with the surgeon who performed your tonsillectomy. You can contact his office and discuss your problem with one of his or her nurses, who will then be able to direct you further after talking to the doctor. If your problem persists, it is also appropriate to schedule an appointment so that your doctor can make sure everything is well in the back of your throat.

Nearby Ear, Nose & Throat Doctors

Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor

• Dr. Robert H. Woods
    Dr. Robert H. Woods MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    9767 North 91st Street
    Scottsdale, AZ 85258
  • Dr. Matthew Dahl
    Dr. Matthew Dahl MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    22 S 900 E
    Salt Lake City, UT 84102
  • Dr. John Butler
    Dr. John Butler MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    4000 S 700 E.
    Salt Lake City, UT 84107