Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What type of surgery is available to remove floaters in the eye caused by uveitis? "

ZocdocAnswersWhat type of surgery is available to remove floaters in the eye caused by uveitis?


I am a 31 year old single mother who was diagnosed with uveitis in November of 2008. I had what I was calling a "halo" in my right eye and finally went to doctor 4 days later to be told I have uveitis. I have been on steroids and cellcept the past 2 1/2 years; however the floaters in my right eye have gotten worse. I went to a specialist in Memphis, TN for a second opinion who said he would never do any type of procedure to remove the floaters as they are severe side effects. I would like to know what surgeries are avaiable and also if there are any home remedies I can try to try to calm down the floaters.


I am sorry to hear that you are suffering from uveitis. Fortunately, its sounds like you are on good medication therapy for this, with steroids and cellcept, and I hope that things settle down for you gradually. As you know uveitis is an inflammation in the eye. As part of this inflammation, uveitis can cause degenerative changes in the vitreous, which is the semi-liquid substance which fills the inner part of the eye and works to maintain the normal pressure in the eye and to conduct light backwards toward the retina. When these degenerative changes happen, the result can be the collection of small speck of solid material within the vitreous. These tend to move around and cast shadows back on the retina; hence their name, "floaters". Unfortunately, the two doctors that you have been to now to ask about your floaters are right. Generally, floaters do tend to settle down and get better, but this can take quite a while. In the meantime, however, surgery to remove floaters (called a vitrectomy, in which the vitreous is removed and replaced) is reserved only for the most severe cases of floaters, as it has many potential side effects, including damage to the retina.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.