Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"What kind of doctor should I see about getting tested for add/adhd?"


I'm a 20 year old male.


Physicians that have the most experience testing for and treating ADHD are actually pediatricians. This is because most people get test for and treated for this disease when they are young. Since you are in your 20s, you can not be seen by a pediatrician.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Psychiatrists near you

Probably the second most common type of physician to treat ADHD is the family doctor. This is because they treat both kids and adults, and will have experience treating kids with this syndrome into adulthood. I think there are two equally acceptable action plans you could undertake to getting tested for ADHD. If you have a family physician for which you have an established relationship with, then it would be fine for you to see this person and either ask for testing or referral to a specialist. Most 20-year-olds do not have a doctor yet. If this is the case for you, then I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist has specialized training in testing for ADHD and will be versed in the latest medications for this disease in adults. The testing should be long and in depth. You do not want to begin medication for ADHD until you are sure you have it. Good luck.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.