Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"How can I lose weight when I'm already thin?"

ZocdocAnswersHow can I lose weight when I'm already thin?


I know i shouldn't be complaining cuz I live a good life and have been blessed with a slim body, but I still feel fat. I would like to lose more weight before the summer starts ? whatver works best, you know? Is there a diet I should try?


Anyone that says that they are slim, but still feels fat and overweight makes us nervous. Let me explain. When physicians try and decide if one of our patients needs to lose weight, what we look at is the body mass index (BMI). This number takes into account both your weight and your height. It is calculated by taking your weight (in kilograms) divided by your height squared (in meters). If you google "BMI calculator", you will find calculators that will use weight in pounds and height in inches and convert the numbers to metric. If your body mass index is between below 15, you are dangerously underweight and need medical attention right away. If you are between 15 and 17, you are still underweight and need to gain some weight to be healthy. If you are between 18 and 20, you are underweight, but probably healthy. Between 20 and 25 is what is considered normal. If you are above 25, then most physicians would recommend that you lose weight. Anything over 30 is considered obese. I suggest that you determine your own BMI. If you find that you fall between 15-20, but you still feel fat, then you need to schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. You may have a body image problem if you feel that you are overweight when you are not. This is a serious disease with serious consequences including eating disorders. Your primary care physician can help you by talking about your issues and referring you to a councilor if necessary.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.