Is there some way I can fall asleep fast every night?

I think I have a sleeping disorder, maybe insomnia. It's been taking me forever to fall asleep every night these past two weeks. I am in my 30s and exercise regularly. Usually strength training, and usually at night. I don't have a wife, no kids, no stress, really. I'd like to start resting well again.
I think that there are some things you can do which will help you get better sleep. First, I would try moving your exercise routine to earlier in the day. The adrenaline associated with strength training can stick around to the time when you are trying to sleep. This will for sure keep you from falling asleep quickly. If you drink coffee in the morning, make sure to only have 1-2 cups and don't have any caffeine past noon. If you have a TV or a computer in your bedroom, remove them. Your bedroom needs to have few distractions. Also, if you have a visible clock remove it. Seeing the minutes tick by on a clock can be aggravating when you are trying to fall asleep. Finally, some people find the so called white noise such as a fan soothing. I suggest that you bring this important issue up with your primary care physician. He or she can discuss additional sleep strategies that are specific to your personal past medical history. If none of these work, then you can try a mild sleep aid such as Trazodone or Ambien. Both of these are very safe medications and can help you get to sleep and stay asleep through a full 8 hours.

• Dr. Camilo Rincon
    Dr. Camilo Rincon MD
    7824 Lake Underhill Road
    Orlando, FL 32822
  • Dr. Syed Mujeeb
    Dr. Syed Mujeeb MD
    411 W. Parker Rd
    Houston, TX 77091
  • Dr. Alex Bernstein
    Dr. Alex Bernstein MD
    3039 Ocean Parkway
    Brooklyn, NY 11235