Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Can your period disappear after not having sex for a long time?"

ZocdocAnswersCan your period disappear after not having sex for a long time?


I haven't had sex in almost two years and in that time my period has gone almost completely. I don't know where it goes, sometimes for three months, sometimes for six months at a time. I'm afraid something is wrong with me. I am 28 and an office worker. I used to run track in high school and my period was lighter then but that was eons ago. I'm starting to think something is wrong with me internally. What should I do?


Your cycle pattern definitely sound abnormal. Your frequency of having sexual intercourse will not effect your periods. Thus, whatever is causing your skipped periods is independent of your sexual activity. Skipped periods are often due to cycles in which ovulation does not occur (anovulatory cycles). One of the most common causes of these type of cycles is polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). This syndrome is caused by an abnormal endocrine system in which hormones are secreted abnormally. Women tend to be overweight, have diabetes, and occasionally have facial hair growth. Sometimes the skipped periods are the first sign. Another possible cause (that doesn't seem to apply to you here) is excessive exercise and weight loss. If you are training for a marathon or something similar, this could explain your skipped periods. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. Bring with you a calendar of when you have had your period over the last year. I you don't have calendar yet, start making one. Your OBGYN can discuss the possible causes of your period problems with your personal past medical history in mind. You can get any necessary blood tests done and get a step closer to figuring out what is going on.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.