ZocdocAnswersWhat is the best way to measure body fat?

Question

What is the best way to measure body fat?

Recently I've been feeling not that great about my looks. I don't excercise a whole lot in general. The other day I saw a thing that said I should measure my body fat and then set realistic weight loss goals. My question is this 'where should I measure my body fat?' My arms are skinny but my legs are huge. Do I measure in more place than once? I'm trying to lose weight and want to start things off right. Thanks for your help and God bless.

Answer

First of all, congratulations on deciding to lose some weight. Maintaining a healthy weight is an important part of ensuring your good health in the years to come. One excellent way to assess how overweight you are and to determine your weight loss needs is to calculate your body mass index (BMI). This does not require measuring fat at any particular place on the body. Rather, it simply requires knowing your current height and your current weight; these are plugged into a calculation (you can do this on the internet, or have your doctor do it for you). If your BMI is over 25, you are overweight and if your BMI is over 30 then you are very overweight. The next step would be to set up a visit with a nutritionist. A nutritionist will be able to make an overall assessment of your weight loss needs as well as your eating habits. They will then be able to give you concrete ideas on how to eat healthy balanced meals that also contribute to weight loss. At the same time, exercise will be important. The recommendation is that you should engage in 30-60 minutes of aerobic exercise on most days of the week.