We have revised our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Please take a look.

Why do I want to sleep all the time?

I want to sleep all the time. I mean it. Every second of the day. I am a 26 year old guy and I love sleep. My friends think its more than love, they think I have a problem. I'm starting to think they're right. My girlfriend broke up with me because I missed too many of our dates. As of yesterday, I'm fired from my job. I don't have health insurance and can't afford expensive clinics. I can't understand how something that started out so harmless has destroyed my life. I don't do drugs and no one in my family has seen anything like it. Please help.
This sounds like it is a significant problem that is affecting your life. This fatigue or desire to sleep maybe a symptom of a severe underlying disorder. I would recommend that you see a primary care doctor to have this evaluated. This should not be an expensive clinic and at least one or two visits to investigate this life altering problem is warranted. There are many possible causes of this. One of the most common is depression or schizophrenia. This should be evaluated. There are many good treatments for this that could help your life if it is the case. There are also metabolic causes of this. Low thyroid state or hypothyroidism, is a possible cause of fatigue. This can be associated with constipation, hair changes and feeling cold. This level can be checked in your blood. Low blood count or anemia can also cause this. Blood can be lost or not appropriately produced and these causes can be checked. In addition any major illness of the kidneys, liver, heart or lungs can cause fatigue. Chronic infections such as tuberculosis can also cause this. Finally, sleep disturbances like sleep apnea or sleep disorders can also be the cause. Talk to you doctor. This should be evaluated as it is truly affecting your life. Good luck!