ZocdocAnswersWhy is my period two months late?

Question

Why is my period two months late?

I'm a safe 31 year old woman who is now on month three of no period. I haven't had sex since my last period but I have started playing racquetball. Could that be affecting things?

Answer

The first question I would ask you is if you had taken a pregnancy test. I know that you say you have not had sex since you last period, but that does not mean that you are not pregnant. Let me explain. This is a common story we hear the often ends in pregnancy being discovered. After conception, the new embryo travels down to the uterus and implants. This implantation can cause some light bleeding which can be mistaken for your period. A couple months later, the period still hasn't come and pregnancy is discovered. You are correct in that exercise and weight loss can be associated with missed periods. However, the level of exercise must be profound for this to be the case. If you are playing racquetball for 3+ hours per day and losing 5 lbs a week at it then I would guess that this may be playing a role. If you are playing for an hour a day for 4 days a week, then this unlikely to be effecting your periods. I would suggest that you start by going out and buying a home pregnancy test at the grocery store. They are fairly cheep and very sensitive at detecting pregnancy. Whether it is negative or positive, I think you should then schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. He or she can review your cycle and past GYN history and determine what the most likely cause of your missed periods are. Good luck.