Is there a way to stop male baldness?

I'm a 19-year-old sophomore who's losing all of his hair. It's terrible, and I want it back. I feel so old and unattractive now that I look 80% more like my dad. I'm thinking about trying some sort of hair restoration gel or shampoo. Suggestions?
Androgenic alopecia, also known as male pattern baldness can be tough thing to deal with. The first thing that must happen is that you need to be evaluated for other causes of hair loss. Certain fungal infections and certain toxins can cause hair loss. Once these are ruled out, then you can begin treatment for male pattern baldness, if this is what you have. The good new is that there are options that can improve your changes to get some of your hair back. The first line treatment for androgenic alopecia is the drug finasteride (also known as Propecia). This drug acts to block the hormone dihydrotestosterone (DTH), the culprit behind the hair loss. Most people who try this medication find that their hair loss stops (at least for some time), and about half show re-growth of hair. Another option is Minoxidil (Rogaine). While the results with this topical medication are not as profound, it is still an option. The best type of doctor for you to see about this issue is a dermatologist. While they specialize in skin problems, hair loss falls under their expertise as well. The dermatologist can examine your pattern of hair loss and determine which mode of treatment is best for you.

Nearby Dermatologists