ZocdocAnswersDo I have a UTI?

Question

Do I have a UTI?

I think I may have a UTI. I'm a 52 year old man and it burns when I pee. I have safe sex. Is this a UTI?

Answer

Your painful urination may be caused by either an infection of the urinary tract or a sexually transmitted disease. Men are not usually diagnosed with a simple UTI as often as women, as the urethra in men is much longer than in women, which makes men less likely to transmit bacteria to the bladder. UTIs can certainly cause pain upon urinating, and can also cause increased frequency/urgency of urination. Given that UTIs are uncommon in men, if bacteria is found in the urine then a man should be screened for prostatitis, which is inflammation of the prostate that can occur due to infection. Tenderness to palpation of the prostate during a rectal exam or a sense of pain in the pelvic floor may be clues to prostatitis, which often requires 2-3 weeks of antibiotics to treat. The other cause of painful urination in a man to consider is a sexually transmitted disease such as chlamydia or gonorrhea. Either of these infections can cause painful urination, and may also cause testicular pain or discharge from the penis. Fortunately, testing for these different causes is relatively straightforward, and all can be done with a physical exam and urine tests. You should go see your primary care doctor to figure out what is causing your problem.