Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

What's this sharp pain in my arm?

I recently had surgery (unrelated to my arm) that prevented me from heavy lifting and working out for over a month. I was able to continue my exercise routine recently but took it easy the first day. I didn't do any arm exercises besides 50 push ups and now I have a sharp pain that jolts from my shoulder and the skin on my bicep is extremely sensitive. I've been in pain for 4 days now. Did I hurt something in my arm??
Arm pain is a relatively common condition. We all get aches and pains from time to time. That being said, there are some serious causes of arm pain. I would recommend that you talk to your primary care doctor. He or she can help determine the cause as well as rule out serious complications. Firstly, there are many parts of the arm that can cause pain. The bone itself can break and cause pain, but it is often far more dramatic pain and therefore unlikely in your case. The muscles can also be the source of pain -- often caused by inflammation. Working out after a somewhat long rest can cause the general soreness of the muscles (as they become inflamed) but this is more often a dull ache rather than a sharp pain. There are also ligaments and tendons (connective tissue between the bones and muscles) that can be injured. The biceps tendon is located on the front of the arm and can be torn or injured -- but this rarely is a jolting pain. What this sounds like (although more information is needed) is nerve pain. Nerve pain can be caused by a pinched nerve -- often in the neck. Talk to your doctor regarding this. If you have any weakness, contact him or her urgently. Good luck!
Have further Questions? See a doctor!