We have revised our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Please take a look.

Why do I get bladder spasms after urinating?

I'm a 51 year old female that has no children. Lately after urinating I get painful spasms in my bladder, and even have a bit of urine leakage upon standing. It has been happening more and more frequently over the past 4 months. I currently need to wear a pad because of the amount of wetness I experience over the course of a day. Is this normal aging or should I be checked for a bladder infection?
You definitely need to get in to see your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor about this problem. These symptoms are not normal over this period of time, and there is likely something that can be done about it. First of all, your doctor will perform a complete physical examination including a pelvic exam. They will take a urine sample to rule out a urinary tract infection although, honestly, this does not sound like a urinary tract infection because it has been going on constantly for 4 months. More likely findings on the physical examination might be relaxation and sagging of the pelvic muscles or bladder (called a cystocele). This is very common in older women who have had multiple pregnancy and vaginal births. The source of the leaking urine in this situation is that the sagging muscles do not provide support to the bladder, and this results in urine leaking and urgency. Another possibility would be an overactive bladder muscle leading to spasm, which is also common in older women. Based on what is found on physical examination, your doctor will recommend treatment, which may include restricting fluids, medications to reduce spasm, or special exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles.

Nearby OB-GYNs