Book now. It's free!

What causes my eyes to turn red?

I am a 13 year old girl. I was wondering why my eyes turn red sometimes. This happens to my brother, too. I want to know what causes my eyes to turn red because sometimes I look in the mirror and it is red. And what is the red lines in the white part of your eyes? Is there a way to make the redness go away? Do eye drops help? What is bad about me is that I react to quickly. When my mom tries to put eye drops in my eyes I respond to fast and close my eyes so it is almost impossible for me to use eye drops.
The red color in your eyes occurs due to dilation of small blood vessels (these are the small red lines) in the white part of your eye. This can often occur from irritation of the eyes. The most common reason to have irritated eyes is because of eye allergies. Eye allergies are called allergic conjunctivitis medically. Many people with allergic conjunctivitis also have nose allergies (allergic rhinitis) which causes stuffiness, runny nose, and sneezing. There are many causes of allergic conjunctivitis, including smoke, dust, pollen, dust mites, pet dander, and other things. You should go see you pediatrician as soon as possible. They will be able to take a look at your eyes and help you figure out what is going on. If it looks like allergic conjunctivitis, then you will need to think about avoiding the things that are provoking it (such as pets). Your pediatrician may also prescribe you some medicines to help with it. If you do not think that you want to use eye drops, then it is possible to use some oral pills. For example, antihistamines like loratidine (Claritin) or cetirizine (Zyrtec) can be very helpful in reducing the redness and itching caused by this condition.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!