Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"I have a growth on my face an inch under my eye, who would I see to get that removed?"

ZocdocAnswersI have a growth on my face an inch under my eye, who would I see to get that removed?


It's been there for at least 5 years. Sometimes I accidently make it bleed when washing or drying my face. its not long like a skin tag its more like a pimple but skin colored. It has the shape of a pimple that has been popped.


Any time that you have a bleeding skin lesion that does not go away, you should see a physician. The greatest fear with regards to these lesions is that it could be skin cancer, as the face is an extremely common place to develop these because of the amount of sun exposure that it gets. Especially if you have a personal or family history of other cancers, sun exposure, taking chronic steroids, or other medical issues, you should make sure to see a physician very quickly. Even if you have none of these, this sort of skin lesion should not persist for 5 years with intermittent bleeding. Your description of a popped pimple is especially concerning. As for which doctor you should see, you have a number of choices. An ear-nose-and throat surgeon (ENT AKA otolaryngologist) would be able to help, as would a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. While your family practice doctor might feel comfortable doing a simple biopsy of the lesion, you would likely have the best cosmetic and oncologic result by speaking with one of the first 3 mentioned. While there are obviously other things that can cause this sort of permanent pimple, it is important to make sure that it is not something serious. Please see a surgeon or physician soon.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.