ZocdocAnswersOn going sinus infection getting worse. Is it a possible dental origin?

Question

On going sinus infection getting worse. Is it a possible dental origin?

I have had an abscess on a tooth for months now and have taken rounds of antibiotics but havent gotten the dental work done yet. Rencently had a sinus infection and was dosd with Augmentin Tx,but its seems to have come back now my throat is swollen my muscles and joints ache and I have pain in my rib cage bilaterally as well as pain in back. Am I dying of sepsis or something. I have a docs appointment tom to get blood urine anaylsis.

Answer

I am sorry to hear you are feeling so poorly. It is unlikely that a sinus infection would cause all of these symptoms. Usually, sinus infections just cause headache, nasal stuffiness, and cough. Sometimes very severe sinus infections will also cause fever and can spread to other parts of the body but this is rare. Similarly, this does not sound like a tooth infection, as you do not really have pain in your tooth. What this really does sound like is influenza.Influenza is a viral infection which causes fevers, cold symptoms (like cough, sore throat, etc) as well as all over body aches and pains. Fortunately, for most people, influenza is a self-limiting illness that does not require specific treatment. However, in certain high risk populations, such as people with asthma or other chronic illness, certain medications are given to decrease the severity of the influenza symptoms. The best thing for you to do is to keep the appointment you have with your primary care doctor tomorrow to have a good physical examination and to make sure that there is nothing more serious going on. In the meantime if the fevers or other symptoms worsen you should go to the emergency room.