ZocdocAnswersWhat happens if I miss my annual OB/GYN exam one year?

Question

What happens if I miss my annual OB/GYN exam one year?

SO I haven't been to my OB/GYN in almost two years. I know this is bad. I'm 30 and I smoke. I used to be on birth control pills but am not anymore. Is it alright that I skipped going these past few years?

Answer

I would recommend that you see your OB / GYN. While there is no specific problem that might result, you are losing out on many preventive opportunities. An equally valid alternative would be to see a primary care doctor who could provide similar services. I would recommend that you see either an OB/GYN or a primary care doctor in the near future. There are many reasons to see some type of doctor. Firstly, they can query you regarding symptoms that you may not realize. These small symptoms may be clues to a disease that could be picked up on early. The other major reason is health care maintenance. The two major issues in your case would be (1) Quit smoking. This is, as I am sure you are aware, horrible for your health. There are many medications and therapies that are available to help. (2) a Pap smear. A pap smear is a preventive screen for cervical cancer. Years of research has shown that this is a way to catch cancer early and save lives. One every year (or maybe every two years) is recommended. There are other issues. Birth control is one to discuss. Talk to an OB/GYN or PCP. Either can perform the aforementioned. Good luck!