ZocdocAnswersAre drug store anti-aging treatments better than surgery?

Question

Are drug store anti-aging treatments better than surgery?

I am a 22 year old woman and I have a lot of wrinkles around my eyes. I would like to try anti-aging treatments but don't know how effective they are. Are the creams I can buy at drug stores worth my money?

Answer

The levels of effort that go into decreasing the effects of aging vary depending on how significant the problem is and how much effect is desired. Obviously, the hope is that more invasive therapies, such as surgery, will be more effective. The caveat is that these should not be used on everyone, as they are often the "last step" in the treatment paradigm, rather than the first place to start treatment. Additionally, given your young age, it would be unlikely that surgery would be the most effective treatment. There are many creams and lotions that advertise health and cosmetic benefits. Some of these claim to work by having anti-oxidant effects, as well as reducing free radicals. Oxidization and free radicals do damage our skin, but there are other things that we can do/avoid doing that are even more effective than creams and surgery. Avoiding UV exposure (such as is found with sun tanning in beds or out doors) is vital to maintaining healthy and youthful appearing skin for life. Additionally, tobacco and tobacco smoke are very harmful to skin, and can make it age much more rapidly than it otherwise would (in addition to a myriad of other harmful effects). Please discuss further treatment options as needed with a dermatologist.