ZocdocAnswersWhat foods can act as natural anti-aging treatments?

Question

What foods can act as natural anti-aging treatments?

My skin looks very old. Are there any foods that can help make it better? I'm trying to stop smoking because I know that's making things worse.

Answer

While there are many foods that are very healthy and contain many anti-oxidants, the thing that will be most valuable in your quest for healthy, young-looking skin is to stop smoking. Furthermore, it is the best thing that you can do for your health in every other way as well. Please discuss smoking cessation with your primary care doctor. As for foods that might have some benefit with regards to the skin, there is very limited high quality evidence at this point that any specific food, fruit, or vegetable is effective at making your skin look younger. That being said, there is some indirect evidence that foods that are high in anti-oxidants might be effective at reducing the amount of damage that occurs within your skin itself. Oxygen, while vitally important, is involved in chemical reactions within our body that can make it dangerous to other cells of our bodies. For that reason, the body uses anti-oxidants to "clean up" the oxygen so it is not harmful. Some common foods that are high in anti-oxidants include blueberries, pomegranate, and myriads of other foods that are currently in vogue. Green leafy vegetables are also especially healthy. Please discuss this and your desire to quit smoking with your primary care doctor as needed.