How long does one have to remove an appendix with appendicitis before it breaks?

I have three kids and I would like to know how long I have to take them to the hospital if they start showing symptoms of appendicitis. Thx, doctor.
Appendicitis can be a serious medical condition, and does need to be treated to avoid the many potentially serious consequences, one of which is a ruptured appendix. While it is more difficult to diagnose appendicitis in younger children, it is also good to know that, possibly due to the shape of the appendix itself, younger children are less likely to have appendicitis. That is, the highest incidence of appendicitis starts to occur in the adolescent age, when the symptoms are more similar to the symptoms that adults will complain about, most notably pain the right lower quadrant and anorexia (the doctor's word for no appetite or hunger). There is no set amount of time before an appendix will rupture, and it is entirely variable. It is common for symptoms in some age groups to have been present for at least 2 days, indicating that your children's body will usually start to show signs and symptoms of a problem before the issue becomes a surgical emergency. If your child has a fever, severe abdominal pain, vomiting, and possibly diarrhea, you should discuss these symptoms with your doctor or pediatrician quickly to make sure that there is nothing serious, such as appendicitis, occurring.

Nearby Pediatricians

Other Pediatricians