Are there contact lenses for people with astigmatism?

I play a lot of sports and have astigmatism. I am 24 now and have trouble on the basketball court when I jump around in my glasses. Are there contact lenses for people like me? Will they cause headacches?
Yes, there are contact lenses that might be right for you or others with astigmatism, and are commonly used in those people who have astigmatism. They are called toric lenses, and are specifically manufactured to fit the surface of your eye given the abnormal shape of the your eye ball. A visit to your optometrist or ophthalmologist will be necessary to obtain a prescription, and he or she will be able to answer your questions more fully. If you have worn contact lenses before without complaints of headaches, it is unlikely that using toric lenses will be much different. The lenses themselves will sometimes require being placed in a unique rotational manner, in contrast to the placement of normal contact lenses that do not require a specific rotation prior to placing them in your eye. Your eye doctor will be able to address this with you as well. It is common for an examination that includes the discussion of toric lenses to be more expensive, as there is sometimes a need for some additional testing and fitting. Your doctor will discuss this with you and answer all of your other concerns that you might have so that you can function fully with the best quality of life possible.

Nearby Ophthalmologists

Other Ophthalmologists