ZocdocAnswersDo couples who undergo behavior therapy stay together?

Question

Do couples who undergo behavior therapy stay together?

I am a 24 year old woman, and my husband and I are are having a lot of issues. Will behavior therapy help us stay together? I really don't want to lose him.

Answer

I am so sorry to hear that you and your husband are undergoing marital stress at this point in your marriage, and applaud your desire to seek professional help in working through your difficulties. Many couples find that meeting with a therapist or counselor as a couple is invaluable in expressing difficulties and finding the appropriate solutions. Furthermore, these sessions will also give couples the skills that they need to work through difficulties in a reasonable and respectful manner in the future, making them more likely to resolve conflicts on their own going forward. As always, the key in any relationship is mutual respect and a mutual desire to "set things right." If both parties are in agreement that the marriage is worth preserving, counseling can be a very worthwhile piece of the puzzle in making marriage work. While you are going through this stressful time, please remember to take care of your mental and physical health as needed, and especially make sure that you are safe at all times. Your primary care doctor or OB/GYN will have specific information about your situation, and can refer you to the appropriate resources as needed. A psychologist or professional therapist will likely be your final counselor.