ZocdocAnswersWhat are the symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia?

Question

What are the symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia?

Hi. I'm a 38 year old male. I've been peeing a lot lately. I worry about prostate cancer and other prostate issues. Are there other symptoms I should look out for?

Answer

Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) is a fairly common condition that increases in prevalence with older age. Since a portion of the urethra travels through the prostate, enlargement of the prostate causes a change in urinary habits. This can include an increase in the frequency of urination, a reduction in the amount of urine voided with each attempt, a weakened urinary stream, and feeling of incomplete voiding (feeling like there is still urine left in the bladder when finished). Men with BPH will often complain of having to get up several times in the middle of the night to use the bathroom as well. BPH is typically diagnosed through a combination of clinical symptoms and a physical exam (in which an enlarged prostate is palpated on rectal exam). Prostate cancer often does not cause the symptoms associated with BPH, and tends to affect men older than you. It is recommended that doctors start to have discussions with their male patients aged 50 about the benefits/risks of screening for prostate cancer (or 45 if they are at higher risk due to ethnicity or family history). Other problems that can be associated with increased urination include uncontrolled diabetes, urinary tract infections, or infections/inflammation of the prostate. You should talk to your primary care physician about the symptoms that you are experiencing. With a test of your urine, your history, and physical exam, your doctor should be able to provide you with an accurate diagnosis and start any indicated treatment.