ZocdocAnswersWill a biochemical genetics consultation get rid of my depression?

Question

Will a biochemical genetics consultation get rid of my depression?

I'm a 29 year old woman and I've tried EVERYTHING to get rid of my depression. Should I have a biochemical genetics consultation? It can't hurt, right?

Answer

Depression is a serious psychiatric condition which is usually chronic and can wax and wane over the lifespan. It generally requires close monitoring and often lifestyle modifications and medications for long periods of time. In addition to watching you level of sleep, exercise, and diet (all of which influence your mood) most people with depression need to take a medication to help their mood. The doctors who can help you with this include your primary care doctor and your psychiatrist. Trials of various medications often require a few months, and many people with depression will need to try several medications before they find the one that works for them. In other words, finding a good treatment for depression requires patience and time. There is no role for a genetics specialist in the treatment of depression. Although depression may have some genetics roots, this has no impact on treatment and geneticists do not evaluate or treat depression. Primary care doctors and psychiatrist do, often with input from social workers, psychologists and others skilled in offering life skills and counseling. You should try to set up an appointment with your primary care doctor or your psychiatrist to discuss your concerns and find a treatment plan.