ZocdocAnswersAre my frequent nosebleeds a result of a bleeding disorder?

Question

Are my frequent nosebleeds a result of a bleeding disorder?

Hello, doctor. I am a 24 year old male and still get frequent nosebleeds. Do I have a bleeding disorder? What is wrong with me?

Answer

Nose bleeds are medically known as epistaxis. There are many causes of epistaxis, some of which are serious and some of which are minor. I would recommend that you see your primary care physician in order to have this evaluated. If required, he or she may refer you to a hematologist (a blood specialist) or an Ear Nose Throat Surgeon if required. The most common cause of epistaxis is mechanical rupture. The nose has a lot of blood vessels that feed it as the sensitive smelling nerves need a robust blood supply. As such, any small trauma can cause the vessels to be damaged and nosebleeds to occur. Dry air can cause the problem. Most commonly, trauma from nose picking is the cause. There can be other anatomic problems like an aneurysm or tumor, but these are rare. If there is an anatomic cause, an ENT surgeon can decrease the blood vessels to limit the bleeding. Epistaxis can be a sign of abnormal clotting. Either platelets or other clotting factors can be deranged. Normally, people will have bleeding from other locations as well. Your primary care doctor can do quick blood tests to evaluate this. Talk to your doctor. This should be evaluated.