ZocdocAnswersMight the foods I eat result in blood in my stool?

Question

Might the foods I eat result in blood in my stool?

I eat a lot of nuts and am wondering if they're tearing the inside of my body and causing bloody stools. I am a 24 year old male and it's pretty bad to look at in the toilet.

Answer

Bloody bowel movements are something that should never be ignored. The reasons for blood in the stool can range from benign and nothing to worry about to dangerous and life threatening. Since you are seeing blood in the toilet, the bleeding is likely coming from either your anal / rectal area or from your colon. The causes of lower GI bleeding (what we call bleeding from these areas) varies greatly, but in your age group there are only a few things that cause this routinely. The most likely cause is bleeding hemorrhoids. These are blood vessels near your anus that tend to get inflamed and can bleed during a bowel movement. If you are also having diarrhea or abdominal pain, then I think the inflammatory bowel disease such as Crohn's disease or Ulcerative Colitis is possible. While eating nuts can be a problem with HI bleeding in older patients, it is rarely an issue with younger ones. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a more detailed history of this bleeding and perform a thorough abdominal exam. Your doctor will likely need to do a rectal exam as well to make sure there is no blood there. I think you will get some answers from there.