Are kidney stones causing blood in my urine?

I was diagnosed with kidney stones and keep seeing blood in my urine. Is this why? I'm a 40 year old male and it hurts A LOT.
Kidney stones are certainly one cause for blood in the urine (hematuria). The stones can irritate the lining of the kidney's collecting system or of the ureters leading down to the bladder, causing minor trauma and bleeding which spills into the urine. This may be associated with pain, which can localize either to the kidneys or radiate down to the groin or to the scrotum. Another cause of blood in the urine to consider is a urinary tract infection. These can be identified on a routine urinalysis and confirmed with a urine culture. In men, it is important to consider inflammation/infection of the prostate when a urinary tract infection is identified, as a simple UTI is rare in otherwise healthy young men without a history of structural urinary disease or recent instrumentation. If you have not seen your doctor recently and he/she is unaware of your hematuria, then you should seek follow-up care. If you continue to have blood in the urine and it is thought to be a result of your kidney stones, then you may need referral to a urologist who can talk to you about different types of interventions to help break up your stones, if needed.

Other Nephrologists