ZocdocAnswersHow many blood transfusion follow ups are necessary for pregnant women?

Question

How many blood transfusion follow ups are necessary for pregnant women?

I am 26 and had a blood transfusion performed while I was pregnant. Is more than one follow up necessary?

Answer

The first question I would have for you is whether the blood transfusion occurred when you were pregnant or after you had the baby. It is quite unusual (outside of an injury or other illness) to get a transfusion during pregnancy, but happens occasionally after a birth where there is significant blood loss. Most of the time, blood transfusions go quite smoothly without complication. In any case, there should not be any follow up needed unless your blood type is negative (example A negative or B negative). In this case, you may need a special treatment to prevent damage to your next baby's red blood cells. This won't be necessary till you are ready to try for another baby. If you are blood type positive, then I can not see any reason why you would need any additional follow up for a blood transfusion. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB / GYN. The two of you can discuss your blood type, specifically whether you are the negative or positive type. If you are negative, and you baby was positive, then you may need to get something called Rho-GAM next time you are pregnant. Good luck with your new baby.