Is there typically a long-term follow up after a bone marrow transplant?

I'm a 22 year old woman who had a bone marrow transplant. How many follow up should I expect afterward?
Yes, there is definitely long term followup needed after a bone marrow transplant! Followup does depend a bit on what you had the bone marrow transplant for. Assuming you had a bone marrow transplant for some type of blood cancer, then the initial followup period is to make sure that the cancer has been well treated and is not coming back. Your oncologist (cancer doctor) will determine how frequently this followup is needed, a lot of which depends on how well you tolerated the bone marrow transplant and what type of cancer it was. Hopefully you are out of that phase now and your cancer has been treated. If so, then you will still need life long followup, primarily with your primary care doctor. This is because many of the medications used for chemotherapy and bone marrow transplant, as well as radiation that you may have been exposed to, all put you at higher risk of developing new cancers later in life. Furthermore, cancer survivors are at higher risk of heart disease, thyroid problems, and multiple other complications that can develop many years after treatment is over. For all of these reasons, it is absolutely essential that you maintain good medical care for your entire life.