ZocdocAnswersWhat is the likelihood of my cancer going away after bone metastasis treatment?

Question

What is the likelihood of my cancer going away after bone metastasis treatment?

hi, I'm 38 and had bone metastasis treatment performed recently. I'm trying to be realistic about the chance of my cancer going into remission. Is there a way to find out?

Answer

I am very sorry to hear that you have been struggling with your cancer treatment and that you have now unfortunately experienced metastasis to your bones. Metastasis of cancer to any organ, including your bones, is a bad sign which lowers your chances for having a cure or remission, although sometimes it can be successful. I cannot really give you a realistic estimate of your chances, however, because I do not know any of the the other details about what type of cancer you have had, what treatments you have already undergone, and how extensive the metastases are. Your best option here is to have a frank and open conversation with the oncologist (cancer doctor) who has been involved with you and helping you manage this illness from the beginning. They are really the only doctor who has enough information to help guide you through this difficult process. I also recommend discussing this with your family and loved ones, as you will need their support and help as you try to decide what treatments you wish to pursue and which other life goals are important to you at this time. I wish you all the best in this difficult time.