Will I undergo pain management therapy after bone metastasis treatment?

Hey, doctor. I'm in a lot of pain after my bone metastasis treatment. I'm a 248 year old female and wondering whether I should look into pain management therapy.
I will answer this question assuming that you are not 248 years old. If you are that old, I would have to say that you have done well. Bone metastasis can be a very painful part of the cancer disease. The treatment for this pain depends on a few factors. If your cancer has metastasized to one area and this one place is causing you pain, then you may benefit from radiation therapy to that area. Radiation therapy involves pointing a beam of radiation directly at the cancer cells causing their death. Radiation in this setting is not a cure, but it can reduce your pain. If your bone metastasis are at more than a few spots and not treatable with radiation, then you will benefit from opioid pain management. This is done through your oncologist who may or may not refer you to a pain management group. It just depends on your oncologist's preference. Opiods like oxycodone, morphine, and hydromorphone have all been proven to provide relief from pain in chance patients. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your oncologist right away. The two of you can discuss your pain, and come up with a strategy that will give you some relief, and restore your quality of life.

Other Pain Management Specialists