search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Will I need to get braces again if my retainer checkup shows I hav enot been wearing my retainer?"

ZocdocAnswersWill I need to get braces again if my retainer checkup shows I hav enot been wearing my retainer?

Question

Heyy. I'm a 22 year old woman and I stopped wearing my retainer for a week. Will the orthodontist know this when I go to get my checkup? It was only a week! I hope I don't need braces again.

Answer

While wearing your retainer is important to make sure that you are able to maintain the beautiful teeth that took so much time (and money!) to obtain, it usually takes a while before the results are lost. In other words, it took you quite a while for your teeth to grow into the correct position, and it will take some time for the results to be lost. Like all good things, however, it is easier for your teeth to go back to their normal position than it was for them to become the way they are now. So please keep wearing your retainer and visiting your orthodontist as recommended, so that you don't have to go through that ordeal all over again. For most people, losing that beautiful look will be the result of a long period without the proper prevention, and so it is most important to not skip days repeatedly in the future. You can speak with your orthodontist about the appropriate schedule, and how long to wear your retainer each day. Remember to maintain excellent hygiene at all times, and follow up with your dentist at least twice a year for cleaning and examinations.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances