What should I do for a sudden acne breakout which i have never had before?

I am (female)29 years old. I have never had an acne breakout before but two weeks back i started getting some acne on my chin and forehead. I started to apply some over the counter cream for it but few days later i got a whole bunch of acne on my cheek and near my nose. It looks extremely ugly and I don't know what to do? Please suggest.
Acne outbreaks can occur in adults, even those who do not tend to get acne. Usually this occurs when the pores of skin on the face become clogged for one reason or another. The most common reason for clogging would likely be some sort of cosmetic or make up product that you are using, although stress and other factors also play a role. The way to treat an acne flare is to gently cleanse the skin and remove the debris that tends to clog the pores. In addition to avoiding a lot of make up while dealing with the problem, you should wash your face daily with a good antibacterial facial soap. Then you should use an acne product containing a comedonolytic, which are chemicals which strip off the dead skin and other debris. The most common two are called benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid and you can actually find them in many over the counter acne products if you read the labels carefully. If these methods do not work for you, then you may want to talk to your primary care doctor. Occasionally other medications, including more potent creams, can be needed in order to remove the dead skin debris and decrease the inflammation in the skin.