ZocdocAnswersWill breast correction surgery fix my asymmetrical breasts?

Question

Will breast correction surgery fix my asymmetrical breasts?

My breasts have been asymetrical as long as I can remember. I am 22 now and would like to get them fixed. Is breast correction surgery the answer?

Answer

Many people will have some degree of breast asymmetry, which will usually improve over the course of time as the breasts grow. For most women, this occurs at around age 18, after which point the breasts have usually finished growing (excepting, of course, the normal changes that occur with pregnancy). As you are past this age, speaking with a plastic surgeon who is board certified might be of some value. Alternatively, there are options for purchasing padded brassieres and other products that would mask the asymmetry during most times, some of which can be purchased from stores that sell products for patients after a mastectomy. If you believe that a breast augmentation procedure would be best for you, speaking with a plastic surgeon should be able to provide you with more information that can be beneficial and can let you know what to expect. They will also discuss the fact that there are risks with any surgery, including in this case the chance that the ability to breast feed in the future may be affected. In general, however, many women tolerate the procedure well. Your primary care doctor or OB/GYN might be a good place to start in this discussion, and might have some referral advice as well.