ZocdocAnswersWhat will happen at my bypass surgery consultation?

Question

What will happen at my bypass surgery consultation?

Hello. I am a 48 year old man in the process of taking the necessary steps toward bypass surgery. I would like to know what will be discussed at my consultation. Thank you.

Answer

Coronary artery bypass grafting (we call it a CABG) surgery is now routinely done for severe coronary artery disease. At your first consultation, you will get a ton of information, and it may be overwhelming. The first question that will need to be answered at your initial meeting is the extent of your coronary artery disease, and whether CABG is really indicated. Since you are being sent to a cardiovascular surgeon, I imagine this has already happened. You would have, or will need a coronary artery catheterization to define the extent of your disease. If this has already been done, you should expect them to also take you blood for baseline blood work, then set a date for the surgery. I suggest that you write down a list of question that you have prior to going to your appointment. You are not likely to remember everything you want to ask while you are there because the meeting may be a bit overwhelming. To get you started, I'll give you some example questions. 1. How many grafts will you do?, 2. Where will you take the vessels?, 3. How long do you think the grafts will last in me?, 4. What can I do to protect the grafts from developing blockages?, 5. How long will my recovery period be?, and finally (and possibly most importantly), 6. Are there any reasonable alternatives to this surgery? I hope that helps.