ZocdocAnswersHow can I emotionally prepare for my bypass surgery consultation?

Question

How can I emotionally prepare for my bypass surgery consultation?

Hi. I am a 38 year old mother of four preparing for my first bypass surgery. It's incredibly stressful and I'd like to know how to deal with the emotional strains.

Answer

I am very sorry to hear that you are dealing with this, but it sounds like you have decided to prioritize your health and go ahead with the surgery. What I would suggest is that you write down all of the things that are stressful to you and all of the questions and fears that you have related to the surgery and that you bring this list with you to the appointment. If you do not write down your questions prior to the appointment, it is likely that you will forget to ask something that is very important to you during the appointment. All major surgeries occur in a setting that includes a multidisciplinary team of specialists. These include not just doctors and surgeons, but also social workers and counselors. Therefore, as long as you speak up for your needs and express your fears, there should definitely be someone on the team who can help you work through these issues and get the help you need. Your primary care doctor is another great resource, as they will no doubt be involved closely in helping you manage your health after the operation, so I would also recommend talking to them about what is going on.