Should my infant have a caries risk assessment?

I am a 25 year old mother of a 6 month old baby. Should he have a caries risk assesment? How does that work?
While your pediatric dentist's office themselves will be the best ones to answer the question about the age at which they would first like to see your child, this will not be until at least a few of the teeth are in, and generally will be sometime at about the age of one year as recommended by the various dental organizations. The best way to know for sure is by contacting your dentist's office to discuss that question with them, as there is obviously a difference in the ability of these young children to interact with the dentist and the team depending on the age, and each dentist's office is likely to have different capabilities. The important thing is that you are already concerned and involved in your child's dental hygiene, which will give the best effect. The first visit is often as much for the parents as for the child, as they are able to be instructed in the proper care of infant teeth, including brushing with a non-fluoride based toothpaste if needed to prevent the development of fluorosis, which is a cosmetic concern if too much fluoride is ingested. Please speak to your pediatric dentist's office for more clarification.

Nearby Dentists

• Dr. Linda Winter
    Dr. Linda Winter DMD, FAGD
    Dentist
    1445 North Ridge Road

Other Dentists