ZocdocAnswersWhen should my child have a caries risk assessment?

Question

When should my child have a caries risk assessment?

Is one year old too young?

Answer

While one year old is probably a bit young for an initial dental consultation, it is good that you are beginning to think about taking good care of your child's teeth. One of the best things in this age group would be to speak to a pediatric dentist about when he or she would first like to see your child. Sometime between the age of 2 or 3, when your child is old enough to respond and converse with the doctor is generally a good age to start, although your dentist might feel differently. In the meantime, you can help to prevent dental caries already by brushing your child's teeth every day with a non-fluoride toothpaste. The reason that you will want to use tooth paste without fluoride is because your child will have some difficulty spitting out the tooth paste that remains after brushing. Too much fluoride can cause unsightly streaks in your child's teeth, which is obviously not desirable. Additionally, brushing your child's teeth at this young age will establish healthy habits. Never leave your child with a bottle or juice in his or her crib, as this allows the bacteria to work all night on the teeth. And finally, if you have any concerns, speak to a dentist today to discuss them.