ZocdocAnswersWhat should I feed a child with a fever?

Question

What should I feed a child with a fever?

They say to starve a fever. Does that go for children? What is the best food I can give my daughter to get her fever to break?

Answer

The old saying of starving a fever has since been found to have no medical reasoning, and you will not hear that from your doctor or pediatrician. Instead, it is encouraged to make sure that your daughter has plenty of liquids (especially) and a healthy diet whenever she is sick so that she can recover as soon as possible. Often, sick children will not feel up to eating. When your child is not drinking enough, this can become a problem in and of itself, as dehydration can occur quickly especially in younger children. For this reason, if your child is not urinating as much as usual, is not taking in good liquids by mouth, and has been not eating or drinking well for more than 24 hours, speaking with his or her pediatrician might be a good idea. As for foods that will help to break a fever, I am not aware of any that do this. If your child has a fever greater than 104F, you should speak to your pediatrician or see a doctor immediately. If a lower fever persists for more than a few days, you should also talk to a doctor.