ZocdocAnswersIs a chiropractic consultation needed after a sports injury?

Question

Is a chiropractic consultation needed after a sports injury?

I hurt my back on the football field and am scheduled to see a chiropractor. What will he do to help me? I am a 22 year old football player. How long will I have to see him?

Answer

Chiropractors provide a valuable resource to many people who suffer from chronic back pain or injuries, but the evidence about how much they actually help these people is still somewhat debated. Many studies have found that their might be some short term relief, but that, over the long term, the amount of symptomatic improvement that these patients receive is variable. For that reason, it is recommended that you visit with your primary care physician as needed in addition, to make sure that you are not overlooking a more serious injury that can not be resolved with spinal manipulation alone. Your chiropractor will possibly order x-rays to determine what is wrong with your back, and then perform a series of maneuvers to correct this perceived problem. They will then generally recommend follow up 2 to 3 times weekly for a period of time.