ZocdocAnswersWhat natural foods can lower cholesterol levels after a lipids checkup shows high cholesterol?

Question

What natural foods can lower cholesterol levels after a lipids checkup shows high cholesterol?

My doctor told me I have high cholesterol and needed to change my diet. I have cut out a lot of pork. What else can I cut out? Or is it that I should add something. I am 29.

Answer

Keeping an eye on your cholesterol is a very good idea, particularly at a young age. The lifestyle choices you make early in your life can have a huge influence on your health later in life, and it is much easier to change your diet in your 20's and 30's than it is to deal with heart disease several decades later. When it comes to cholesterol, there are many ways you can modify your diet to be more healthy. As you mention, meat products (especially beef and pork) are high in cholesterol. However, there are definitely other foods that are high in cholesterol, including eggs (specifically the yolks), and anything made from whole milk, i.e. cheese, butter, ice cream etc. The good news is that there are healthful ways to still enjoy these kinds of foods. Low-fat dairy products will have lower cholesterol levels than the 'full-fat' version. Egg whites are cholesterol free and can be incorporated into cooking and baking instead of the regular egg. In addition, there are also some foods that can naturally help lower cholesterol. Whole grains products (oatmeal, bran); many types of fish, particularly those like salmon that are high in omega-3 fatty acids; some kinds of nuts including walnuts or almonds; and some kinds of oils such as olive oil can all naturally help lower your cholesterol.