How do healthy bones differ from chondrosarcoma?

My bones are not healthy. How did I get chondrosarcoma? What can I do now?
First of all, I am very sorry to hear that you are dealing with this diagnosis. I highly suggest that you talk carefully with your primary care doctor and your oncologist (cancer doctor) so that they can explain to you what the next steps are and answer what must be many questions you have at this point. Chondrosarcoma is the third most common type of bony cancer, although bony cancers in general are fairly rare. No one really understand exactly where this type of cancer comes from; it does not seem to be inherited in most cases, and probably just results from unfortunate mutations in the genes of some bony cells. Treatment of chondrosarcoma depends a lot on what is called the "grade" of the tumor. This is because chondrosarcomas differ a lot from "low grade" (which means lower risk of spreading and metastasizing throughout the body) to "high grade" (which have a higher risk of this). Lower grade tumors are usually managed mostly with surgery - simply removing the tumor. Higher grade tumors, unfortunately, tend to spread and so surgery alone is usually not successful in treating them. Start by talking to your cancer doctor, who will be able to give you a sense of what kind of chondrosarcoma you have.

• Dr. Shamim Shakibai
    Dr. Shamim Shakibai MD
    6801 Park Terrace Dr
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
  • Dr. Ramin Samadi
    Dr. Ramin Samadi MD
    5900 Overton Ridge Blvd
    Fort Worth, TX 76132
  • Dr. Julie Norley
    Dr. Julie Norley DO
    7534 E 2nd Street
    Scottsdale, AZ 85251