How can I prepare for the later stages of chronic kidney disease?

Hello. I am a 47 year old male with chronic kidney disease. I realize things aren't going to get a lot better as I age. How can I prepare for the later stages?
The answer to this question depends somewhat on the stage of chronic kidney disease that you are currently in and any other medical conditions that you have. If you are otherwise healthy, then you have the potential to keep the kidney function that you have and not progress to "end stage renal disease". This is the stage where dialysis often becomes necessary. Some people can have stage 1 chronic kidney disease for their whole life and never need dialysis. If you have other conditions such as heart disease then you have a greater chance of progressive to end stage renal disease. In this case the best thing you can do is keep from consuming too little or too much fluids. The right fluid balance is the best thing you can do to keep your kidneys from getting worse. This will require help from your physician that is caring for your chronic kidney disease. If you do progress to end stage renal disease, then you will want to do what you can to increase your chances of moving up on the transplant list while on dialysis. This will include not missing any doctor's appointments, taking all of your medicines exactly as prescribed, and avoid illegal drugs and tobacco. I suggest that you discuss this issue with a nephrologist. He or she will be able to give you the best advice to your specific stage and cause of renal failure.

Other Nephrologists