Should I wait to get laser surgery if the prescription for my eyes changes year after year?

I am near sighted and my eyes seem to slightly change year after year.
Technological advances in the last several years now provide people who require corrective aids for their vision several options for more permanent solutions. Laser eye surgery can be used to correct vision problems for people who are near-sighted, far-sighted, or who suffer from an astigmatism. For the right patients, laser eye correction can mean they no longer have to wear glasses or contacts. However, the procedure itself is not without risk, and there is a small but significant percentage of patients who undergo these procedures who are dissatisfied with the results. Notably, many of the unwanted side effects (dry eyes, over/under correction, halos or floaters especially at night, or more serious problems with the eye) are permanent and cannot be corrected post-surgery. On the other hand, many people who undergo laser surgery are thrilled with the results and would have the surgery again, given the options. The best thing to do if you are considering laser eye surgery is meet with an ophthalmologist who does the procedure and go over your eye exam and goals for the procedure. The surgeon should be able to answer your questions and let you know whether you are a good candidate for laser eye surgery. In addition, you should also feel very comfortable with the surgeon you choose to do the procedure. If you have any questions or concerns, you should definitely seek a second opinion before moving ahead with surgery.

Other Ophthalmologists